My name is Jen. I have a contagiously funny husband, three awesomely gorgeous daughters, a knack for design, a love for writing, an obsession with kids fashion, a secret desire to be a photographer and a curfew of 10 pm. WHO'S WITH ME?
OTHER PLACES I HANG OUT
Sign up for email notifications
Here is some stuff about me. 95% of is true.
- I’m a RI native, but moved to Florida when I was just a peanut and lived there for most of my childhood. As luck would have it, we moved back right before the 8th grade. I remember quite clearly those first few days back…Girls had on LA Gear; I had on penny loafers. Boys had buzz cuts; I’d barely ever seen a boy’s eye beneath his Bieber-bangs, never mind his entire face. People wore more than one pair of socks; I wore, um, penny loafers. NKOTB was the hottest band alive; Stevie B. was my God. Things just weren’t matching up. But, if there ever was ONE common denominator that could and would eternally bond both worlds together, I’d found it. BANG HEIGHT. I hadn’t ever been afraid of Aquanet and, apparently, neither were my new friends. I was going to fit in just fine.
- Since I was a kid, I’ve wanted to be everything from an astronaut to veterinarian to marine biologist to CSI forensic badass. So, it would only make logical sense that I’d end up in a career of graphic design and writing. Besides, if I told you how many times it just took me to spell veterinarian correctly, you’d agree that it may not have been the right path for me anyway. I will tell you, however, that I was a pre-med major at Providence College, which makes me feel so awesomely smart for about 2 seconds, until I realize that my last school loan payment is October of 2019 and I ended up in a career of graphic design and writing. GO FRIARS.
- After college, and the sudden realization that I have no idea what to do next, I did what any reputable PC alumni would do. I partied. It not only passed the time, but I was good at it. Sure, it led to some unfavorable results, like years 21 through 23 (also referred to as The Dark Years), but in the end, I survived and emerged with a clear realization of what I DIDN’t want to do. DRINK BUD LIGHT. Life is way too short to drink crappy beer, so from that moment on, it was whites, wheats and crafts for this girl. And perhaps time to find a job that didn’t consist of serving crappy beer to sloppy people.
- Luckily, I was in the right place at the right time and I was offered to work for a local printing company, owned by my cousins. I quickly learned to love the world of print and design. I also quickly learned that if you drive 4 miles over the speed limit on Wamponaog Trail, you will get a ticket. And, although my primary role there was in sales, I found myself more certain that I wanted to design and market and less certain that providing coffees to everyone at the sales meeting substituted for actually selling something (although it definitely counted for something). Anyway, I held my own there, ended up opening a design studio shortly after leaving and am forever thankful to them for making that transition apparent and approachable. I make a lot of references in life and I like to refer to them as my “stepping stone.” Which is really just another way of saying “I got my shit together.”
- Along the way, I got married to this hysterically awesome man, started writing for this completely awesome magazine, gave birth to three beautifully awesome daughters (references vary), began an awesome award-winning local deals, events, fashion and giveaway site, Rhody Mamas with my cousin Audrey (that you should go check out immediately), began blogging more times than I showered in a week (which wasn’t much at first) and started watching more reality TV than Milania Giudice has meltdowns. I have a freakish obsession with pens, I never drink something in a glass without ice cubes (except, of course, good beer), I abuse adverbs (and make up words), overuse parenthesis (which some would say means I don’t know how to truly express myself in a coherent sentence), brush my teeth in scalding hot water and eat popcorn at least twice a week. This is my life and I love every minute of it.
Other places I hang out, sometimes with wine:
Rhody Mamas, Co-owner (Rhode Island Monthly Best Of award, 2012)
Keekoin FB page, Owner
Providence Media, Contributing blogger/writer
5 Minutes for Mom, Contributing blogger
Manilla, Contributing Lifestyle Blogger
Buy-her.com, Contributing blogger
Fun stuff I’ve done that required a trip to the salon beforehand:
Mom Advisory Board, Conde Nast product launch
Wanna say HI? Email me: jen (at) keekoin.com